Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Katie McGarry: Interview

Ahhhhh! Looooooooooook! 



I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to interview the wonderful Young Adult author Katie McGarry. Who I’ve been a fan of ever since my friend and co-owner of Drool Worthy Books blog, introduced me to her.

Katie has just recently published ‘Take Me On’, her fourth installment to the ‘Pushing the Limits’ Series and so I got around to asking her some questions about the book, to which you can find my review on our blog.

Why did you decide to pair West with a girl fighter?

When I first met West as a secondary character in CRASH INTO YOU, I knew that he had a short temper and got into fights easily.

In TAKE ME ON, I wanted West to fall in love with a girl who could mentally challenge him. By being an actual fighter, Haley was in a position to tell West that his temper hurts him, not helps him, and that sometimes walking away is fighting.


You did a lot of research for ‘Crash Into You’ and ‘Take Me On’ which lead you to learn and do interesting things. Was it stuff that you thought you'd ever get the chance to experience?


For CRASH INTO YOU, I spent a lot of time at a local dragway and I even got the opportunity to go down the dragway. It was an exhilarating experience!

For TAKE ME ON, I found a local Muay Thai gym and they were fabulous enough to let me watch some of their training sessions. I eventually became bold enough to join their morning kickboxing for fitness class. It’s a bag class, but I learned how tough and fun kickboxing is.

I don’t believe I would have ever experienced either of these things if it wasn’t for the research I needed for the books.

With ‘Breaking the Rules’ coming out in Decemeber, I didn’t forget to ask some important questions there.

Did you always plan on continuing Echo and Noah’s story?


I have always known what happened to Echo and Noah after I finished writing PUSHING THE LIMITS. I wrote PUSHING THE LIMITS as a stand-alone so I didn’t think I would get an opportunity to continue their story. When I was asked if I would consider continuing their story, I jumped at the opportunity. BREAKING THE RULES will be released on December 30, 2013. 

What has been the most emotional book for you to write so far in the Pushing the Limits Series?


It’s a tie between DARE YOU TO and TAKE ME ON. In DARE YOU TO, I understood a lot of Beth’s hurts and there are a lot of themes in TAKE ME ON that are personal to me. Both stories required me to dig deep into places that are difficult for me to visit. 

But don’t worry guys I asked Katie the one question that’s been on all our minds ever since we met the girl in Crash Into you.

Will we ever get the chance to read Abby’s story?


I’m not sure yet what the future is for the PUSHING THE LIMITS series. I’m crossing fingers and toes I’ll be able to write Abby’s story. 

Oh and so are we Katie, so are we! A big thank you to Katie for taking her time to answer our questions. It meant the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment