Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Take Me On by Katie McGarry

The fourth installment to the Pushing the Limits series that literally just keeps getting better and better. 


"We were nothing more than actions to reactions - helpless against our own fate."

This is West and Hayley's story. West is Rachel's, from Crash Into you, older brother and Hayley is the girl that's about to teach him how to fight with his head not just his heart.

In the words of Katie McGarry West is a hot-mess and I totally love it. He has been giving everything growing up except the one thing he needed most, belonging. Hayley at the start of this book is hard to understand, you know in the past she would of said exactly what was on her mind but everything has changed since the night she was she broke.

“I'm in love with you. I'm in love with you and I don't know how to make you feel better. I'm in love with you and I shouldn't be. I'm in love with you and once you figure out who I am, you're not going to love me. I'm in love with you and I seem to fuck up the ones who love me back.”

Katie tackles many serious dilemmas in the world at the moment in this book and she really gets across the emotions in which West and Hayley experience.

West goes from having it all to living in his car, which is still better than some but it is what it is. He's homeless and he must learn to survive without having everything handed to him on a plate. I've never seen a character grow up so much in just one book. He changed from a boy to man and it was one of the best things that could of ever happened to him. 

As for Hayley she learns the true meaning to the saying 'a problem shared, is a problem halved.' The girl has so much weight on her shoulders and all she does is keep putting more and more on top of them. She used to fight, she used to love to fight. It was what could take her away from everything, but Hayley lost that the day she stopped fighting the demons inside and let them take over. So much changes for Hayley, she comes back to reality and it's one of the sweetest moments when you realize she's about to start fighting for herself again and not just the people she cares about. 

Somewhere along the line West and Hayley stopped fighting for what they wanted, what mattered. They lost there way and with each others help they will set each other back on the right path. 

West will prove to Hayley she is worth fighting for, and Hayley will prove to West he isn't just some failure. 


“You say you don’t know who you are,” adds Rachel. “But the question should be—who do you want to be?”

There is always a heart shattering moment in Katie's stories and even though all I ever want to do is keep reading I always have to stop and tell myself, "This will work out, it has too." That moment in this book was when West's father presented him with the chance to give Hayley a future except West would have to do what he wasn't sure he could. That scene broke my heart into a million pieces and god I realized that I never truly knew how much I hated the Young's parents in Crash Into you but I surely learnt how much in Take Me on. 

But while hating on two family members I fell in love with two others, Hayley's brother Kaden and cousin Jax and god if I don't get a book about either of them I may have to come to your house Katie and force you to write me one. I think someone has stolen my heart, just like Isaiah did all those books ago and that award goes to Jax. 

Even though West stood up for Hayley from the very beginning, I love that Kaden and Jax always fought for her. Yes they made mistakes, they let her evil uncle call her all sorts, they let him look down on her and treat her like shit but they did that for the right reasons. They love Hayley and Hayley loves them much more than they'll ever know, she loves them so much she gave up them up - just so they'd never have to get hurt. 

Abby had a massive role in Take Me On and I swear Katie I need that girls story. She's broken, she's a liar but all for the right reasons and she's everything I look for in a character. She deserves her own book, a book about her. Her story, her world, her mistakes, her life. She is so much more than just the drug dealer, she's a girl that just needs to be loved and a way out of the world she has made for herself. 


“I love her, West. She loves me. When you feel like that about someone, you find ways to make it work.”


Katie always seems to get my heart racing and the adrenaline pumping, by her story-lines. When Hayley was sparring with Kayden for the first time in months and West was watching I literally could feel the fear she felt running through my veins. I could feel how West wanted nothing more than to step in and protect her but I also knew deep down she needed to do this and somewhere, somehow he understood that. 

This book gets 5 out of 5 stars from me without fail. As usual I cannot fault Katie's writing or storytelling. I loved West and Hayley from beginning to end and god I would recommend this book, this series, this writer to anyone! I'd recommend you all go check out this addictive series. 






1 comment:

  1. Hey!!! :)
    I nominated you for the Liebster Award :) Here's the link for more info :)
    http://yabookaholic123.blogspot.ie/2014/06/liebster-award_11.html

    ReplyDelete