Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


The Selection by Kiera Cass, literally kept me up all night.

Her writing was very simple, her story line not too complicated, It was an easy going book, a break from the heart-ache and stress of bigger more complicated series out there. It wasn't action-packed or had a love story that made your heart swell, but it was beautiful in it's own way. 

We've all read the books with the future that consists of different classes of people and so on. So in respect to that aspect of the book it wasn't much different than the likes of the 'Hunger Games' or 'Divergent.' 

This book consisted of a love triangle, something I'm not the biggest fan of and I have Suzanne Collins to blame for that. After breaking my heart with Katniss ending up with Peeta instead of Gale. I just don't trust authors who write love-triangles anymore. 

I fell in love with Aspen the moment I heard his name. I loved him even when he broke her heart, because I understood why. Why he had done what he had done. He'd been looking out for her and I got that. 

As for Max, I didn't want to fall in love with him, but overtime he grew on me. He was a sweetheart. An awkward boy that had never experienced love, or anything about life for that matter. He had a kind heart. 

America Singer was the main character in this book and she was truly special. She was an independent woman that knew the difference between wrong and right. Between telling the truth and lies. She was special and I really truly loved her character. 

One aspect of the book that really annoyed me was how America treated someone as kind as Max, she couldn't even say she loved him. Yet she could say she loved Aspen, so why keep Max thinking he has a chance?

"No, I’m not choosing him or you. I’m choosing me."

I look forward to reading the next book in this series, but It's not at the top of my list at the moment anyways. Kiera Cass is a talented writer and storyteller. 

This book gets 3 out of 5 stars from me for the fact that it actually kept me interested, and I actually found I enjoyed it. It loses 2 stars because it wasn't heart-stopping, it didn't make me jump with happiness or break down in tears. It was a slow paced book, but enjoyable all the same. I also adore the cover of this book, it is elegant and sophisticated - a perfect resemblance of the story.






No comments:

Post a Comment