Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Dare you to, the second book in the outstandingly beautiful 'Pushing the Limits' series written by the very talented author Katie McGarry 


"It's our rain Beth." 

Katie's stories never fail to surprise me, her writing is beyond perfection. She could write a book about an odd sock that she found in the wash and I would probably be in tears by the end.

The first chapter of Dare you to is in Ryan's point of view, the main male character of this book. Who would of thought you'd find the love of your life in Taco Bell approaching her because of a stupid dare? 

Ryan is a sweet, kind, drool worthy jock. He eats, drinks and breathes baseball. He has never known anything else, but writing is slowly becoming part of his life and one girl is about to show him that there is much more than one path to choose in life. 

“Baseball isn't just a game. It's the smell of popcorn drifting in the air, the sight of bugs buzzing near the stadium lights,the roughness of the dirt beneath your cleats. It's the anticipation building in your chest as the anthem plays, the adrenaline rush when your bat cracks against the ball, and the surge of blood when the umpire shouts strike after you pitch. It's a team full of guys backing your every move, a bleacher full of people cheering you on. It's...life”

I fell in love with the Beth the moment we met in 'Pushing the Limits.' Her attitude was what really caught my eye. She had a nature of judging others before she had even gotten to know them because she expected others to judge right back. In some ways she reminded me of myself and I liked that. 

Beth's bad-ass attitude really shines through at the start of this book. She makes me angry, happy, sad etc. I was mad at her for a long time for the way she led Isaiah on but I learnt to live with it by the end of this book. Beth deserved more than anyone to be happy, she had had such a hard life. She just never thought herself worthy enough to find happiness and so pushed all good things in life away. Until one boy came along and showed her just how special she really was! 

“I take comfort in the stone inside of me. If I don't feel, I don't hurt.”

Ryan and Beth both overcome so much in this book. From Beth learning that she can't always be there for her mother right through to Ryan learning that his brother never did anything wrong by being gay. 

At the start of this book I was a hundred percent sure McGarry had made a mistake not letting Isaiah and Beth be together. My heart was completely shattered and I wasn't sure if I could love any other boy being with Beth but Ryan completely changed my mind. He brought out the other side of Beth, the side that she never showed anyone. He loved her and because of that she slowly started letting her walls down. I fell head over heels for Ryan and understood by the end why Isaiah and Beth couldn't be together. 

“The way he stares at me - it’s as if he doesn’t even see the outside anymore. His eyes pierce me as if he can see my soul and the thought terrifies me.” 

Many times throughout this book I found the tears streaming down my cheeks. From the intense scenes right through to the romantic scenes. We all have that series we like to tell everyone about and this is that series for me. It is much more than just addictive. This book is an emotional rollercoaster and it enchants you from page 1 all the way through to the very last page. 

It gets 5 out of 5 stars for it's beautiful story, breath-taking writing and perfect characters! 







No comments:

Post a Comment