Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth



“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Okay lets see what we have here. Oh ya it's Divergent by Veronica Roth. Now this book is simply amazing. It kept me captivated throughout and had me bouncing in my chair waiting for Insurgent.

As you all probably know this book was made into a film. Just let me tell you that is was amazing. It was really well put together and Theo James! Oh man there aren't even words. But i'm not reviewing the film i'm reviewing the book. So here goes!

Divergent was a well thought out roller coaster of a story. It is set in a futuristic Chicago where society is split into five groups (factions). Erudite (the intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless) and Dauntless (the brave). Every year all sixteen year olds are given the choice to switch factions or stay in their old ones. They are given a test that will confirm what faction is their true faction.

But for Beatrice Prior that is not the case. She has never felt like she belonged in her faction (Abnegation). So when the time comes for her test she is both scared and hopeful. Little does she know that the results of this test will change her life forever.

Fast forward now and Beatrice aka. Tris has switched factions. Leaving her old life behind she sets out to embrace her new life as a Dauntless initiate. Enter Four. Now this guy just about captured my heart. Being an initiate trainer he instructs Tris and co. in combat and weapons training. He is mysterious, smart and level headed. Tris is put through her paces. Working to become a Dauntless member and keeping her secret that if found out would be the end for her. But something is coming. Tris and Four are going to have to use all of their training if they want to survive.

“Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up”

Veronica Roth writing is very intricate and thought out but in a simple way. The descriptions of the character and setting are well worded. The plot is fast paced and action packed. The romance in the story doesn't overtake the action and that is something you don't see often in books and I find really refreshing.  

The story as a whole is captivating and heart stopping. It deals with concepts and topics that are very real today. It will leave you wanting more.

“I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless. 
I am Divergent.” 

So now I think you can guess what my rating is! I really had no problems with this book so if you like dystopian futuristic novels then give this one a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment