Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Out Of Control by Sarah Alderson


“I need a favour.’
I raise my eyebrows at him in disbelief. What makes him think I’m about to do him a favour? He’s a stranger. And he’s wearing handcuffs.”

This book was thrilling, suspenseful and fast-paced. We are thrown right into the thick of things from the very beginning. Our main character Liva has been having a tough day. Her dad is in Ghana, her mom is in Oman and the couple who were looking after her have ended up dead. Unfortunately everything is far from over. The police station, a supposed safe place is attacked and Liva is forced to rely on a car thief to get her out alive. It is soon realized that someone is out for Liva and they'll do anything to find her.

“So we have twenty-four hours to keep out of trouble,’ he says to me.
I slide a glance in his direction. Judging from the way he’s now grimacing at the sidewalk and the fact that I met him in a police station where he was being booked for stealing a car, I’m guessing that staying out of trouble is not his forte.”

Everything happens within the span of around 24 hours so its a lot to take in. Which includes meeting drool-worthy Jay. Jay brings some much needed light heartedness and humor to an otherwise serious story. Even if Liva is judge mental of him at the start. 

Because off-duty cops walk around the city wearing sweatshirts advertising they’re cops all the time, never mind it’s a hundred degrees outside. And never mind you look like the youngest cop ever recruited in the history of policing.’
He tsks at me. ‘Have you never seen 21 Jump Street?”

So with the help of Jay and his family Liva tries to stay one step ahead of her attackers whilst trying to figure out what they want. I thought Liva was a realistic character who was strong and smart but what also flawed in other ways. Everything starts to spiral 'out of control' (hehe see what I did there!) as the book progresses with tons of surprises and revelations in store. 

I really enjoyed this book and it lived up to the standard of Sarah's other novels. It kept me in  complete suspense from start to finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment