Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Breaking the Rules by Katie McGarry

Echo and Noah. Noah and Echo. 


Finally I got my chubby little hands on this beautiful book. 

And I was warned before hand that I would shed some tears, but little did I know they'd be big fat ones.

“She looked hurt. Hurt means she cares. It’s indifference that should scare you. The same look foster parents give you when you come and go.”

In 'Pushing the Limits' we met the broken Noah and Echo. We watched as they fell in love with one another, we saw them face their problems and find a way to still trust eachother, to smile and laugh again. To finally find someone who understood just wanting to 'fit in.'

But in Breaking the Rules we see the truth behind that pain, that it never just ends because they fell in love with one another. Life isn't like the fairytales and McGarry truly gets that message across with her mesmerising writing and magnificent story-telling skills. 

She tackles some major issues in this book from learning to stand on your own two feet in the real world while also facing your problems head on. 

Noah must figure out some truths about his need to be accepted, while Echo must learn to make her own decisions. 

“Sometimes we don’t choose the memories, but they choose us.”

Now I need to have a little rant about how annoyed I was at both Echo and Noah for basically half of this book. 

I found Echo became a little selfish and there was a few times she became embarrassed over Noah.. yet Noah has never been embarrassed over her. I almost felt like I needed to climb into those pages and have a little talk with Echo. Explain what was so clearly right in front of her. 

Noah doubted again and again Echo's love for him, her want to be with him and how proud she was in him. He truly believed one day she'd wake up and realise what a 'low-life' he was. This made me angry and upset, how could Noah ever think this? (Like come on he's drool-worthy!)

I nod, telling her I get it."I fucked up."
"You did." Beth won't look at me."I'll take care of her."

We get quite a few wonderful scenes with Isaiah and Beth! 

Oh Katie, how I hate to say it but I still remember why I shipped them so hard, why it hurt when Beth fell in love with Ryan and left him behind, why it still hurts that they were never meant to be together.. But I must remind myself; destructive love is worse than no love.. right?!

This book gets 5 stars out of 5. Katie McGarry didn't fail to draw me in. She let us in on the harsh realities that is life and she made me cry. Every good book makes me cry, makes my heart break then glues it all together for a special closing. 

So Thank-you Katie, Thank-you for telling Noah and Echo's story. It needed to be told. 

GO GRAB A COPY OF THIS BOOK AND READ UNTIL THE SUN COMES UP!


“The worst type of letting go isn't the kicking or the screaming, because at least then there's enough emotion left to fight.No,the worst type is the silent acceptance.The quietness of the release.That's when the person realizes they no longer give a damn.”


No comments:

Post a Comment